February 2018. AKA Financially Draining February.
Well that was definitely another busy month, my word. Let’s see…
- I had my annual check up scan to see what the pesky endometriosis has been up to and it all looked very good, confirmed by the surgeon who I also saw this month. I get to stay out from under the knife for another year at least, pending any surprises.
- A friend and I went to the amazing Welcome to Night Vale All Hail the Glow Cloud live performance at the Astor Theater. It was a great night and introduced me to Erin McKeown who is an amazing singer songwriter that you should all check out on Spotify.
- The first of two friend dates saw us at Run Amok in Freo for tasty hot dogs, then onto San Churros for a sugar overloaded dessert.
- My parents came up with their trailer again for another session of “take away as much crap as possible”. My patio area actually looks like it could be used as a patio area now! Parents also took an older recliner sofa that I never used and was taking up a good chunk of space. Although now it’s gone, there does seem to be a rather big empty patch in my house!
- This month’s “Crafternoon” was spent crafting characters for our inaugural session of Starfinder in March. Having built a Pathfinder character from level 7 when I joined our Pathfinder group a few years ago, it was extremely strange building a level 1 character with almost no weapons, skills or HP. I have this horrible feeling that Hai Minh won’t survive the first session…
- I booked some time off work in conjunction with booking a skip for a few days. Turns out that I was too organised in my preparation work and had the skip completely filled with my decluttered bin bags of stuff before breakfast on day 1. So I enjoyed the rest of my time off relaxing, and going out for brunch with my parents.
- Second friend date involved wings and fries, and the first watching of The Black Panther. A most excellent movie that demanded a second viewing later the same week. If you haven’t already, go and see it. It doesn’t require prior knowledge of the Marvel universe so don’t worry if you’re not “up to date”. Just go and see it.
- To celebrate a friend’s birthday in late February, we had plans for a trip to the Cat Cafe and Whisk. Plans were slightly derailed by Birthday Girl being far too ill to leave home but we celebrated in her honour and she enjoyed vicariously through pictures. Again, it was so good to get out and do something – and another thing I should do more of this year. We did manage to celebrate with Birthday Girl, with a games day.
- I started buying and receiving the presents for my 2018 Advent Calendar. A couple of years ago, I bought myself 24 little items that I’d been wanting for a while, wrapped then and opened them in the lead up to Christmas. The good thing about having a below average memory, is that if I buy things early enough in the year, I’ve a good chance of not fully remembering everything I bought so there are some surprises in there. This year is going to be a full on year, so I am definitely treating myself to some great little gifts. And the process started this month – I think I got about half, so I’ll finish off the list in March.
So why was it a financially draining month? With my scan and specialist appointment, combined with the cats’ vaccinations and lots of nights out, it was an expensive month. But that’s not what I remember about February.
What I remember is all the time spent with friends, the progress I’ve made on some of my big 2018 plans, and food. There was a lot of food involved in February. So I should probably re-title this post to Friends and Food February?